Monday, July 26, 2010

Switzerland - Our Motherland

Both mine and Josh's ancestors are from Switzerland. (In fact, one of our great, great, great, great grandpas is the same guy - Johannes Reber. I know. Gross.) So for our first weekend, I got to see that beautiful country for the first time.

Maddie en route to Switzerland with her new Swiss doll. Oh, how I love iPads and iPods. Traveling without them with a child would have been a LOT harder! In fact, it turns out that Maddie is by far a better, more pleasant traveller than me. :o)

Maddie was greeted at the train station by a goat who was in love with her.

One of my memories of Switzerland is that it is a country of trains. We took trains, trains, and more trains everywhere we went.

Here we are at the very highest point of the Alps and Europe. Maddie loved all the snow.

And she loved the "ice palace" which was a huge house made out of ice. She made us call her the "ice princess" and kept saying, "I wish we could live here." I, on the other hand, was freezing cold and couldn't wait to get outta there.

We got to walk through little Swiss towns that epitomize the word "quaint."

We got to ride these ski-lift-type-things to the tops of the alps....

....and hike around. Josh was terrified when he took this picture, but neither Maddie or I are afraid of heights. We were loving it.




Here was our beautiful hotel. Fourth floor, no elevator. There are no elevators anywhere in Europe. I've now got buns of steel. :o)