Monday, February 20, 2012

Throw Up Pregnancy Story

So far, I'm pregnant. You can call me cynical though, because that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm going to be like those 16 year olds that give birth in the bathroom during Prom because they are in so much denial that they are actually pregnant. :o)

But I have to share the funniest, least romantic conception I have ever heard. We started with 8 frozen embryos and were going to thaw one at a time until we had a nice healthy one to use. But they kept thawing one at a time and none of them were surviving the thaw. My transfer date kept getting pushed back to the next day. My doctor finally called two days later and said he wasn't very optimistic: they only had one embryo left and it wasn't that great of a quality.

Josh and I went to bed very convinced that it was the end of the story. So the third day we all woke up and got dressed to go to the Rebel basketball game. And the doctor called. Surprise! We had TWO healthy embryos. The one lone survivor turned a corner and became a great quality embryo, and another one "came back from the dead" and is a good quality embryo. (Maddie is now terrified of the "Zombie Baby.") We had half an hour to get into the office to get pregnant.

Well, we had Maddie with us and no babysitter. So Maddie came with us to the doctor's office and waited in the waiting room with the other soon-to-be pregnant couples. I was laying on the table with my legs in stirrups. They had just squirted the embryos when a nurse came in and said that our daughter had just thrown up all over the waiting room. Josh ran out and found Maddie with throw up all over her. He apologized to the other couples and nurses and got out of there as fast as possible.

So they wheeled me out on a gurney into the "recovery room" and started on the next lady. But Josh and throw-up-covered-Maddie didn't realize that I had just been moved to a new room, so they went back to my old room and walked in on the next lady with her legs in the stirrups. Josh apologized to the poor couple and asked where HIS wife was. So we all sat and waited in the recovery room trying not to gag on throw up smell until they gave me the go ahead. We went home and Josh put me in bed, gave Maddie a shower and clean clothes, and then picked up Angus' throw up that got all over the carpet. I'm pretty sure no other woman got pregnant with so much throw up involved. I find it hilarious because I have always said Josh's job for in vitro is too easy. I think the throw up and embarrassment of this conception kinda levels the playing field.

So far, everything is going as it should be. But nothing is certain yet. I'll keep you all updated.

10 comments:

Jamie Smith said...

I read this three times and laughed out loud three times. So funny.

Heather said...

You just made my day. I know that is really sad that throw up made my day, but that was just the best story ever. =)

Kathryn e. said...

Hilarious story! Lots of prayers coming your way from good ole Provo!

Audrey Crisp said...

That's disgusting and hilarious! Reminds me of the two and a half men episode from last night involving throw up! Good luck!!

The Family Stone said...

Ha ha. I knew Maddie threw up but didn't know the rest of the story! LoL. Too funny! :)

Amy Rindy said...

I love everything about this story. And I love that so far everything looks good!

Meagan said...

That is hilarious and mortifying all in one! Glad you have TWO healthy babies in you, that Maddie is no longer sick and that Josh likely won't ever see the couple he walked in on again. :) Fingers crossed everything continues to go well...

*megan said...

Funny stories you have Rachel. This is one of the best. So glad to hear you are pregnant. Sad we didn't make it up to SLO to spend time with you guys. Hope to see you soon.

The Mecham Family said...

I can't believe he walked in on someone else! hahahaha

Courtney and Matt said...

haha!! that's awesome. all of it.